Everything and nothing. Read it, shrug your shoulders and move on.


Monday, July 17

Israel and Lebanon

Suppose I do give more of a fuck about this little incident, not only because the conflict may escalate, but because when I was 18 I spent many great months living and working as a volunteer on Kibbutz Baram which lies a few hundred yards from the border between Israel and Labanon.

I can remember an occasion when we were informed that some terrorists had crossed the border and we had to make our way to the shelters for our own safety. I don't remember being particuarly concerned, probably because I was only 18 and didn't really understand the consequences, but I do remember the almost casual words of our Kibbutznik leader who calmly told us not to worry as 'We'll kill them'. Since he, along with many other Kibbutzniks, was skillfully hefting an M-16 I couldn't really argue.

It seems that a barrage of Katyusha rockets were fired near the Kibbutz just a few days ago but thankfully no one was hurt.

I wish them all the best during this time.

No comments: